Crop Insurance is vital to a farm operation. It is one of the few safety nets that we farmers have. However, sometimes the safety net does not come without a hole in it.

John Schwarz is a farmer and agricultural law attorney, which includes being a crop insurance attorney. He has been personally involved with crop insurance matters on his own farm. As a crop insurance attorney, he has experience representing fellow farmers in crop insurance matters. Disputes between farmers and crop insurance companies generally include the following:

  • Wrongful termination of coverage.
  • A denial for failure to follow “good farming practices”.
  • Low adjustment of the claim.
  • Improper application of the insurance policy.
  • Wrong interpretation of the insurance policy by the insurance company.

Generally, there are two avenues to address a crop insurance matter:


A farmer can request a mediation with the crop insurance company to try and resolve the issues. In mediation, the parties attempt to resolve their differences and reach a negotiated agreement.


A farmer can also file for a request to have the matter heard at arbitration. Arbitration is different than court action in that an arbitrator is assigned to hear the matter. Arbitration is generally more timely and cost effect than having the matter heard by a court of law. Arbitration will generally consist of the parties meeting with the arbitrator and submitting their information to the arbitrator, in a manner somewhat similar to a court hearing, and the arbitrator then renders an opinion. It is important to remember that the farmer must request arbitration within one year of the claim being denied.

As a fellow farmer, John understands the importance of crop insurance to farmers. As a crop insurance lawyer, John understands the process of assisting farmers in navigating the challenging waters of a crop insurance dispute. Who better off to represent you in a crop insurance dispute than a fellow farmer who has personally been through crop insurance disputes on his own farm?

John will be your advocate and guide you through the entire process of a crop insurance dispute. He is passionate about farming and will support and counsel you every step of the way. If you have questions about federal crop insurance issues, please don’t hesitate to contact us.


310 North Chicago Street
PO Box 637
Royal Center, IN 46978

Phone: (574) 643-9999
Fax: (574) 643-9994


511 E. Colfax Ave.
South Bend, Indiana 46617